Carlsbad is located in Eddy County and has a population of about 26,000 people. It is located at the center of Routes 62/180 and 285. Additionally, it is part of the Carlsbad-Artesia Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Carlsbad is best known for its potash mining, petroleum production, and tourism industries. The city has two potash mining companies, both of which employ a significant amount of people from the city. Demographically, it is 77 percent white and 42.5 percent Hispanic or Latino.
Wrongful Death in Carlsbad
Wrongful death occurs when someone dies due to the negligent or reckless acts of another person. New Mexico defines wrongful death as a death caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or default of another.
A wrongful death claim must be filed by the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate. This personal representative is usually the surviving spouse; however, it can also be an adult sibling. If an estate plan doesn’t name a personal representative, one can be named by the court.
How Are Wrongful Death Damages Awarded in New Mexico?
The personal representative is responsible for filing the wrongful death claim on behalf of the decedent. However, this does not mean the personal representative obtains the damages gotten by the lawsuit.
Depending on the specific situation, damages are awarded in different ways. For example, if there is a surviving spouse but no children, all damages awarded will go to the spouse. If there are children involved, the damages are divided in halves. One-half will go to the surviving spouse, and the other half will go to the children (or grandchildren).
Wrongful death damages can encompass a wide variety of costs, including:
- Funeral expenses
- Burial expenses
- Medical expenses
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering suffered by the decedent’s loved ones and the decedent
- Loss of financial contributions made to the household by the deceased person
- Loss of inheritance
If your loved one has been wrongfully killed, consulting an experienced wrongful death attorney can assist you in obtaining damages you and your loved ones deserve. The Law Office of Samuel I. Kane has been handling wrongful death cases for many years and has secured many positive settlements and jury verdicts.
For an initial consultation, we welcome your call to our Carlsbad area office at (575) 526-5263.
Directions to our New Mexico Personal Injury Attorneys from Carlsbad
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Total Est. Time: 3 h 16 mins
Total Est. Distance: 206 mi
- Head north on N Canal St toward W Stevens St
- Turn right onto W Stevens St
- Turn right onto N Canyon St
- Turn right onto Plaza St
- Slight left onto San Jose Blvd
- Slight right onto US-180 W/US-62 W
- Turn right onto Joe Battle Blvd
- Merge onto TX-375 Loop E
- Turn right onto Desert Blvd N
- Take the ramp on the left onto I-10 W/US-180 W/US-85 N
- Keep right at the fork to continue on I-25 N, follow signs for Las Cruces/Albuquerque
- Take exit 3 for Lohman Ave
- Turn left onto E Lohman Ave
- Continue onto E Amador Ave
- Destination will be on the left
We are located at:
1018 E Amador Ave
Las Cruces, NM 88001